Routing Policy Information
Fouant, Stefan
2008-04-23 21:23:02 UTC
</end lurk>

Hi folks,

Wondering if there is a good repository of information somewhere which
outlines the various major ISPs routing policies such as default
local-pref treatment for customers vs. peers, handling of MED, allowed
prefix-lengths from customers, etc. or would one have to contact each
ISP one was a customer of to ascertain this information.

Thanks in advance.

Stefan Fouant

Principal Network Engineer

NeuStar

<resume lurk>
Eric Van Tol
2008-04-23 21:55:33 UTC
Wondering if there is a good repository of information somewhere which
outlines the various major ISPs routing policies such as default
local-pref treatment for customers vs. peers, handling of MED,
allowed
prefix-lengths from customers, etc. or would one have to contact each
ISP one was a customer of to ascertain this information.
Thanks in advance.
Stefan Fouant
Try this:

http://www.onesc.net/communities/

-evt
Fouant, Stefan
2008-04-23 22:04:45 UTC
Wondering if there is a good repository of information somewhere which
outlines the various major ISPs routing policies such as default
local-pref treatment for customers vs. peers, handling of MED, allowed
prefix-lengths from customers, etc. or would one have to contact each
ISP one was a customer of to ascertain this information.
Thanks in advance.
Stefan Fouant
http://www.onesc.net/communities/
-evt
Perfect... This rocks!

Thanks,

NeuStar
Greg VILLAIN
2008-04-25 10:34:51 UTC
Post by Fouant, Stefan
</end lurk>
Hi folks,
Wondering if there is a good repository of information somewhere which
outlines the various major ISPs routing policies such as default
local-pref treatment for customers vs. peers, handling of MED, allowed
prefix-lengths from customers, etc. or would one have to contact each
ISP one was a customer of to ascertain this information.
I'm a bit late on that, but I'd tend to think this is commonly done on
their RIR aut-num object.
This should at least be true for Major Bandwidth providers.
Post by Fouant, Stefan
Thanks in advance.
Stefan Fouant
Greg VILLAIN
Freelance Network&Telco architecture consultant
NeuStar
Joe Abley
2008-04-25 19:59:29 UTC
Post by Greg VILLAIN
Post by Fouant, Stefan
Wondering if there is a good repository of information somewhere which
outlines the various major ISPs routing policies such as default
local-pref treatment for customers vs. peers, handling of MED, allowed
prefix-lengths from customers, etc. or would one have to contact each
ISP one was a customer of to ascertain this information.
I'm a bit late on that, but I'd tend to think this is commonly done on
their RIR aut-num object.
In the RIPE region it might be reasonable to use the word "commonly".
I think it's fair to say that elsewhere a more correct phrase might be
"almost never".

Joe