Photo
Patrick W. Gilmore
2008-04-18 20:11:33 UTC
WARNING!!! (from chopin.merit.edu)
The following message attachments were flagged by the antivirus
Attachment [2.2] Video_part.mim, virus infected: W32/Parite-B.
Action taken: deleted
VIRUS WARNING Message (from chopin.merit.edu)
The virus W32/Parite-B was detected in email attachment [2.2]
Video_part.mim. The infected attachment has been deleted.
Impressive. I didn't know the new server had a virus scanner on it.
Perhaps we should just delete these instead of forwarding them to the
list?

I'm also impressed that Sean moved to India:

[121.247.233.225] (may be forged)) by chopin.merit.edu (MOS 3.8.2-GA)
with SMTP id AQD07945; Fri, 18 Apr 2008 16:08:32 -0400 (EDT)

:)
--
TTFN,
patrick
Edward A. Trdina III
2008-04-18 20:17:40 UTC
The viruses, or the virus emails?

patrick
Megaera
2008-04-18 20:31:11 UTC
I was wondering what was going on myself. I've been a member of the list for
years now (non-posting) and this afternoon I get a notice that I've subscribed
to NANOG followed by two quick virus notices - and my list settings had been
dumped too.

Any ideas?
--
God grant me the senility to forget the people that I never
liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones that I do,
and the eyesight to tell the difference.
John Moser
2008-04-18 20:49:10 UTC
Post by Megaera
I was wondering what was going on myself. I've been a member of the list for
years now (non-posting) and this afternoon I get a notice that I've subscribed
to NANOG followed by two quick virus notices - and my list settings had been
dumped too.
Any ideas?
http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/nanog/msg07543.html

See the message from Betty Burke from Thursday April 17th. New server,
new list. I'm guessing the virus notifications were accidentally missed
during the migration.

-John
Jacob Appelbaum
2008-04-18 20:51:59 UTC
Post by Megaera
I was wondering what was going on myself. I've been a member of the list for
years now (non-posting) and this afternoon I get a notice that I've subscribed
to NANOG followed by two quick virus notices - and my list settings had been
dumped too.
This has happened to me as well. I was a digest subscriber and now I'm
getting each message. Did someone tamper with the settings or was there
an administrative mistake?

Regards,
Jacob
Patrick W. Gilmore
2008-04-18 21:33:56 UTC
Despite the chatter, I think we should all congratulate Merit on a
very smooth and orderly transition to the new server.

No, it was not perfect, but given all the possible outcomes, we are
definitely in the top quartile.

IMHO, of course.
--
TTFN,
patrick
Alex Pilosov
2008-04-18 20:48:46 UTC
Post by Megaera
I was wondering what was going on myself. I've been a member of the list
for years now (non-posting) and this afternoon I get a notice that I've
subscribed to NANOG followed by two quick virus notices - and my list
settings had been dumped too.
Yes, there was an email prior regarding list transition from Majordomo to
mailman.

If you missed the email, it is here:

http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/nanog/msg07543.html

Sorry about virus notices. Merit needs to change mailman (or MTA) settings
to drop virus-infected emails instead of stripping/bouncing/whatever.

If you'd like to discuss mailing list operations, you should do it on
nanog-***@nanog.org, not here.

Thanks

-alex [MLC chair]
Gregory Hicks
2008-04-18 21:27:53 UTC
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 13:51:59 -0700
Subject: Re: [Nanog] [OT] Fwd: Photo
Post by Megaera
to NANOG followed by two quick virus notices - and my list settings had been
dumped too.
This has happened to me as well. I was a digest subscriber and now I'm
getting each message. Did someone tamper with the settings or was there
an administrative mistake?
I don't have the message, but, a few days ago, there was a message from
Betty that basically said that the list was moving and that we would
have to recreate any individual settings... And that would be a good
time to set a password.

Regards,
Gregory Hicks
Regards,
Jacob
Gregory Hicks | Principal Systems Engineer
Cadence Design Systems | Direct: 408.576.3609
2655 Seely Ave M/S 9A1
San Jose, CA 95134

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes. I will surely
learn a great deal today.

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
lunch. Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
decision."