Installation troubles with GlobalCrossing
Erich Hohermuth
2008-05-15 07:38:04 UTC
Dear members,

I just want to ask if anyone else have major troubles to install new or
upgrade services with Global Crossing ?

The story:

Last year on December we ordered two layer2 point to point connections
based on gigabit ethernet connections. The main idea was to directly
connect to the peering point. After waiting 3 months and lots of mails
they get the right hardware in place but now 6 months later we still
don't have a running service, because they just implement something with
tagged interfaces on one the peering point site without asking.

Regards
Eric
Eddy Martinez
2008-05-15 17:13:22 UTC
Post by Erich Hohermuth
Dear members,
I just want to ask if anyone else have major troubles to install new or
upgrade services with Global Crossing ?
Last year on December we ordered two layer2 point to point connections
based on gigabit ethernet connections. The main idea was to directly
connect to the peering point. After waiting 3 months and lots of mails
they get the right hardware in place but now 6 months later we still
don't have a running service, because they just implement something with
tagged interfaces on one the peering point site without asking.
Regards
Eric
Hi Eric,

I had a similar problem with Time Warner in Souther California. The
point to point was office <-> data center.

The issue turned out to be the tagged packet for our tunnel were too
large for the current layer two network. They increased the packet
size and all was good. It also took 6 months to get this line up and
running as promised. This required a change to the config and a reboot
of some gear along the path. Our CFO and an attorney sent a letter
stating that if the line was not up by X date, the contract would be
considered null and void. They delivered.

Hope this helps,
Eddy
Dave Siegel
2008-05-16 15:46:54 UTC
Hi Eric,

Sorry you're having troubles. If you send me an email with your
customer information or give me a call I'll look into this and get
you sorted out.

Dave Siegel
VP Global IP/Data Services Product Management
716-408-2608
Erich Hohermuth
2008-05-19 11:29:39 UTC
Dear list,

Thanks to everyone who has respond to me by privat mails.
Post by Erich Hohermuth
I just want to ask if anyone else have major troubles to install new or
upgrade services with Global Crossing ?
It seems that I'm not the only one who has troubles with installations
and trouble tickets in the past 12 months. I also get some offers from
competitors which promise to bring up a point two point link within 10
days.

Thanks
Eric
Drew Weaver
2008-05-19 20:35:17 UTC
The only issue I had with them recently was the aforementioned 5Mbps ICMP rate-limiting on an inappropriately sized circuit and not understanding why I thought it was inappropriate to apply that filter to circuits of any size without any thought to how it would (to a lesser extent things like network performance monitoring systems made by companies such as Avaya (RS) and InterNAP) if the 5Mbps filled up and they began dropping ICMP. (for no reason).

-Drew

2008-05-19 22:03:25 UTC
5mb limit ingressing/traversing their backbone?

Or 5mb limit to their router's control plane?

Important to differentiate between the two. I'd call the former
totally unacceptable, and actionable per SLA 'till resolved (besides,
whoever got taken down by a multi-gigabit PING FLOOD?); the latter is
a concerned provider appropriately covering their base (I'd police
random ICMP to even less, say 128kb).

Paul
Christopher Morrow
2008-05-20 01:05:37 UTC
Post by Paul Wall
5mb limit ingressing/traversing their backbone?
Or 5mb limit to their router's control plane?
Important to differentiate between the two. I'd call the former
totally unacceptable, and actionable per SLA 'till resolved (besides,
whoever got taken down by a multi-gigabit PING FLOOD?); the latter is
seen them.. they can be painful :( a former customer got some
large/fragmented icmp flood during a may-day event as I recall.
Post by Paul Wall
a concerned provider appropriately covering their base (I'd police
random ICMP to even less, say 128kb).
at 1mbps rate-limited customers complained that 'your link is dropping
packets' (when they do a rapid-ping off their edge device with 4000
byte packets... which went over the 1mbps policer). There's certainly
some limit to be used, somewhere between 128k -> 2-4mbps. Also, it
highly depends on edge platform of course :(

-Chris

Robert Bonomi
2008-05-19 17:57:09 UTC
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 13:29:39 +0200
Post by Erich Hohermuth
I just want to ask if anyone else have major troubles to install new or
upgrade services with Global Crossing ?
It seems that I'm not the only one who has troubles with installations
and trouble tickets in the past 12 months. I also get some offers from
competitors which promise to bring up a point two point link within 10
days.
Easy way to find out if the competitors mean it, or are just more marketing
smoke -- see if they'll sign a contract with the fixed turn-up date, *AND*
a, say, 500 Euro/day penalty (payable in cash, not just a service credit) for
each day they miss the promised date. If they won't sign that contract, ask
"why not?" The non-answers for that can be really entertaining. <wry grin>