BCP Muni WiFI?
Deepak Jain
2008-05-15 21:21:30 UTC
Are there any good (published) BCPs for building out Municipal WiFi
networks? Particularly in the security/authentication/scaling areas?

Thanks in advance,

DJ
Suresh Ramasubramanian
2008-05-16 02:04:29 UTC
Post by Deepak Jain
Are there any good (published) BCPs for building out Municipal WiFi
networks? Particularly in the security/authentication/scaling areas?
Ask Earthlink, they just announced pulling out of Philly .. and I
guess they had a working deployment going by the time they pulled out
(and the reasons for that pullout would do for a great white paper all
by themselves, I expect...)
Suresh Ramasubramanian (***@gmail.com)
c***@thewybles.com
2008-05-16 16:24:37 UTC
Deepak,

Excellent question. I'm currently deploying a test environment for a large scale wifi network.

You can see more project info at wiki.socalwifi.org and at socalwifi.blogspot.com.

I am documenting everything we are doing and will have a Blog post up soon regarding our kerberos/radius/VPN deployment and how we load test/scale it.

i have yet to see any existing information on the back end components specifically related to muni wifi.

I would imagine standard documentation/white papers related to scaling a large enterprise wifi network apply.

Charles

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile
Marshall Eubanks
2008-05-16 18:27:11 UTC
I thought that I had seen an "open source muni wifi cookbook"
somewhere, but I haven't been able
to find it.

This might be useful to drill down into.

<http://www.ctnbayarea.org/community-wireless>

Regards
Marshall
2008-05-16 17:23:09 UTC
Post by Deepak Jain
Are there any good (published) BCPs for building out Municipal WiFi
networks? Particularly in the security/authentication/scaling areas?
BCP #58,271,432--which basically states "Don't," comes highly recommended.

Instead, investigate your nearest .16e or evdo rev. A reseller. In the
case of .16e, most available APN's are built around user and
transport/transit abstractions, assuming shared-facilities, virtual
providers, etc. The equipment used in both is a far cry from anything
802.11.

p.
Jay R. Ashworth
2008-05-17 00:51:18 UTC
Interesting comment Paul. However, 16e and evdo are a "bit" heavy
with infrastructure to support mobility. Before giving that answer,
you may want to ask Deepak if he NEEDS mobility....
He needs mobility. If he doesn't know that, it means he hasn't done
his due diligence properly.

Cheers,
-- jra
Post by Paul Wall
Post by Deepak Jain
Are there any good (published) BCPs for building out Municipal WiFi
networks? Particularly in the security/authentication/scaling areas?
BCP #58,271,432--which basically states "Don't," comes highly recommended.
Instead, investigate your nearest .16e or evdo rev. A reseller. In the
case of .16e, most available APN's are built around user and
transport/transit abstractions, assuming shared-facilities, virtual
providers, etc. The equipment used in both is a far cry from anything
802.11.
--
Jay R. Ashworth Baylink ***@baylink.com
Designer The Things I Think RFC 2100

Those who cast the vote decide nothing.
-- (Joseph Stalin)
Joel Jaeggli
2008-05-16 19:55:25 UTC
Post by Deepak Jain
Are there any good (published) BCPs for building out Municipal WiFi
networks? Particularly in the security/authentication/scaling areas?
http://wndw.net/
Post by Deepak Jain
Thanks in advance,
DJ